City Government

Van Horn is an incorporated place located in Culberson County at latitude 31.04 and longitude -104.831. Van Horn had a population of 1,907; a land area of 2.84 sq. miles; a water area of 0 sq. miles; and a population density of 671.95 people per sq. mile according to the US Census Bureaue estimate of July 1, 2009

History

Anglo-Texan settlement began in the late 1850s and early 1860s supportive of the San Antonio-El Paso Overland Mail route. Although U.S. Army Major Jefferson Van Horne is believed to have passed near the area in 1849 on his way to take command of what would later become Fort Bliss , the town is instead named for Lt. James Judson Van Horn who commanded an army garrison at the Van Horn Wells beginning in 1859. Lt. Van Horn's command was relatively short-lived as the post was seized by Confederate forces in 1861 and Lt. Van Horn taken prisoner. Settlement was further stimulated by the construction of the Texas and Pacific Railway in 1881.

The Town of Van Horn is served by the Culberson County-Allamoore Independent School District .

The United States Postal Service operates the Van Horn Post Office

Texas State and Local Government

State Home Page

Local City and State Resources

Statewide Offices

Legislative Branch

Judicial Branch

Executive Branch

Boards and Commissions